CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 15:44:34 -0500

Hi Listmates:

Brittany went to Diabetic Camp for the first time last week. She had a
wonderful time and can't wait until next year. She also received an
Accu-Chek Complete Glucometer (free). We are really impressed with this
newly marketed meter. It does just about everything you can think of.

The following list is some of the info. you can enter into this
glucometer:

Diary Data, Insulin Data, Insulin Pump Data, Carb Data, Event Markers
(is info that can be stored to indicate why you had a low or high BG),
Exercise Data, Ketone Data, HbA1c Results. This is just the highlights.
Since this glucometer is so new the general population is not able to
get the computer software to print all this info. out. Doctors have
accessibility to this software now and in a couple of months we will be
able to have it also.

There is also a visual graph you can read on the meter itself. The meter
lights up, so if it is dark where you are you can read the thing! In
addition it has a battery check on it that tells you how much juice is
left in the battery.

The way the strip and meter are designed to work together is great. If
you do not get enough blood initially out of your finger, you can keep
adding blood until the meter says "Blood Complete." Saves on the number
finger pokes - if you know what I mean. We could not do this with
Lifescan - it would just read "retest."

Plus the lancet device is fantastic. You can dial up the amount of
pressure you want to use on your finger (1-5, 5 being the highest).
Brittany says 2 1/2 gives her a "no pain" finger poke. The lancet device
is called Softclix. The lancets are smaller than the Monolet lancets.
If you have kids I would strongly suggest changing to the Softclix. The
cost runs about $24.75 (I purchased a back-up). That isn't much for more
comfort.

I checked with our local pharmacy and the cost of the meter and strips,
etc. is comparable to all others. So when you are ready to replace your
meter take a look at this one. It is made by Boehringer Mannheim Corp.
in Indianapolis, IN (1-800-858-8072). When I called to register our
meter the customer rep told me that before they made this meter they
surveyed many diabetics (insulin, insulin pump users, and Type II's)
to see what they wanted in a meter. It looks to me like the company
listened to what people wanted.

We are new at this diab. thing (only 6 mos.), but this is the best I
have seen. We were given the Lifescan Profile in the hospital which was
adequate.

Pam Nylander