CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:41:52 -0500

I also seem to have blood sugar rise when I get even the smallest amount of
wheat product. I normally don't have a lot of cravings, but after getting
wheat poisened, I crave everything. I found yesterday that the excessive
blood sugar (feeling) can be reduced significantly by 30min of aerobic
exercise. Also lemon juice helped a little.

The SCD diet, an excellent diet for IBD, has no legal grains. While most IBD
diets, especially gluten-free ones, allow corn and rice, it doesn't. I found
that most everything listed is right on. But I've had to reduce the legal
list further because I have allergies to foods that go beyond intolerances.
After a year of being strict on the diet, I just tried corn again. I still
have an allergy to it and I know that allergy has a gut bacteria component.
BUT, while I have yet to retry it, I think that long grain brown basmati
rice is going to be ok for me. It has a more favorable amylose to
amylopectin ration than other rices (not cross pollenated to be lighter and
fluffier and sweeter) and I think that makes the difference.

The SCD diet and resources are available online, so that you can check it
out: http://www.scdiet.org/. This diet changed my life is showing me exactly
what shouldn't be in my diet any more. I add to it by reducing carbs and
eating low-glycemic fruits.

I'm now trying to check out kefir grains and ripened kefir as possible help
for IBD. Ripened kefir should have low levels of lactose.

Mickie