CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:25:50 -0500

Hi Les -
Welcome to "les miserables" :-( !!
I've had celiac disease for about 4-1/2 years now, and have been a diabetic since
1986.  It is very difficult to try to balance the two.  Are you on insulin?  I am a
type 1 diabetic (don't make insulin at all) and take 4 shots a day.  Pain in the
fingers, I must say!  But necessary if you want to live a long, fairly healthy
life.  How old are you?
I also belong to the UVA (Univ of Virginia) Celiac Support Group.  My son is an
architect with UVA and he put me in touch with this group.  And even tho I live in
Florida, they still send me meeting minutes, and all sorts of recipes, support
tips, etc, etc.  And when I am visiting him in Charlottesville, I go to meetings if
there happens to be one at time of my visit.
Unfortunately, you'll "get it" after awhile - if you play, then you pay!  But
you've already found that out!  Where do you live?  Are you married?  Do you cook?
I've found that I can get some good stuff at local health food stores, i.e., rice
flour crackers in different flavors, or gluten-free pancake mix (Pamela's brand)
which is really better than ordinary Aunt Jemima type mix.  It's made with ground
almonds and has a great taste.  I've also made waffles and muffins with this mix -
recipes on package. Pamela's also has a good brownie mix, which also makes
cookies.  Can't eat too much of the brownies as they contain sugar, but the pancake
mix is pretty ok.  I've learned to make open faced sandwiches using rice or corn
cakes (available in your local supermarket).  Also make a mean lasagna using rice
flour lasagna noodles!
Eating out is difficult, but you can be choosy and learn to pick wisely.  No
breaded stuff. no sauces or gravies (they're usually thickened with flour).
Grilled fish or meat, salad (oil and vinegar or lemon juice dressing), potato or
rice are good choices.  And lots of veggies, of course!
There's lots of other good stuff I can give you, but this is enough to absorb for
now.  Glad you decided to get in touch.  Please email back, and perhaps we can help
each other.
Regards.
Barbara