CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Samuel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 21:50:07 EST

Hi Folks-
     I guess it's time to introduce myself.

     I was diagnosed within the first year of my life (almost 52 years
ago; gosh, I don't feel that old!) I was hospitalized, so ill I was
dying. I received blood transfusions via cut- downs. I looked like an
emaciated child with a protruding abdomen and skinny arms and legs,  and
big sad looking eyes. I was told at age 5 I out-grew celiac disease,
after eating 3 meals a day, consisting of mashed bananas and pot
cheese...each meal running into the next.

     I spent the rest of my life consuming gluten, never really liking
bread or milk. In my mid 20's, after the birth of my second child, I
became SEVERELY hypothyroid..to the point of mental impairment (could not
recall the sentence I had begun), hair loss, dry skin, cold, weight gain
of 50 lbs while dieting and eating 1000 cals/day and exhaustively
exercising!
...and moving to a new state at the same time!

     After thyroid replacement therapy, dieting and exercising, all was
fine. In my mid thirties I had a debilitating virus and ended up with
Diabetes afterwards. At that time, it was not checked for type 1 or 2 and
since I was an adult, it was thought to be type 2. Many years later after
testing I was diagnosed as  type I, producing no insulin on my own at all.

     I had many surgeries within the last 10 years. After back surgery in
my mid 40's, I lost  lots of weight rapidly, had severe epigastric pain,
but no other gasric symptoms. I had several small bowel biopsy's and was
"again" diagnosed as a celiac...of course, always having been one, but
not knowing it.

     Because most of my life I have been a celiac but ingested toxic
glutens, I think it has a bearing on my continuing to struggle with other
symptoms of auto-immune diseases. I'm currently struggling with
sjogren's, fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome, and  arthritis. I
personally am tired of treating everything with medications and am
investigating alternative  therapies for the current problems. I
definitely believe in vitamin and mineral supplements. Diet definitely
plays a major role in the way we feel. I also do water aerobics 3-5 hours
a week.

     I am an active advocate of educational materials being available to
people addressing both celiac and diabetes and my goal is to have this
come about; sort of like the booklet available in Canada, only going
further. I am currently on  a committee with CSA, involved in SLOWLY
working on a survey, being reviewed by medical staff and still in the
works.. eventually to send to people with both conditions, to find out
what their needs are and be able to address those issues. I also think
this is a wonderful forum for us to share info. We all know how difficult
it is to handle one of the diets, let alone incorporating both
restrictions. It is do -able! A hearty thank you to those responsible for
setting this forum up! -sorry to be so long-winded!

     I also frequently apply to participate in diabetic drug studies at
one of the local teaching hospitals. I've not qulalified yet, but have
had wonderful examinations and will try for another in March.

Lynn