CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Marschilok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 00:29:52 EST

I have a husband and 3 children with celiac, 2 of the children have diabetes
and I am a diabetes educator.

If Isabel is often high in the am, she should do a 3 am blood sugar check.
If her activity level is high, and she is going low in the middle of the
night, she might be having frequent rebound highs.   That should be checked
into that the 3 am readings are the way to do it.

If she is at age that she is growing a lot, and has lots of growth hormone in
her system, that causes insulin resistance.  Sometimes insulin adjustment
just has to be made.

Timing of her last insulin dose, could be the issue.  If she is taking long
acting insulin, if last dose is at dinner, sometimes it is too far gone in
the am.

If at home she had her big meal at noon, and now has larger, higher than fat
meal at night, that can be issue.

If you told me her form of therapy,  (insulin types, and time) that would
help me guess at what might be the problem.    Katie