CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Macgregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:40:37 +1030

>Welcome aboard John! You wrote: It took five minutes to adjust to, because for
>the first time in a long time I was eating a diet which didn't make me
>chronically ill. Very attractive! <snip>
>
>* I guess the concept & joy of getting gluten out of one's system, and
>stopping the auto immune reaction is a wonderful thing. In practicality,
>going 100% gluten free is tricky, because labeling is inadequate,
>ingredients can be listed ominiously (ie What IS "Natural Flavoring"
>exactly?) , and foods cooked outside of our own safe kitchens can pick
>up cross contamination in both manufacturing and cooking processes....I
>believe it will take most people longer than 5 minutes to adjust!

I should have clarifed this better. It took me 5 minutes because I don't
eat any processed or pre-cooked food at all: zero.

This may sound difficult, but for me it's much easier than examining
everything I buy for gluten content (and shooting in the dark much of the
time). And as I said last time, once you start to get well, it becomes very
easy to stick to the diet that has made you so. I never crave anything from
my old diet: honest.

I have a suspicion that our non-adaptive foods - the ones our genes and
bodies did not evolve on - are actually quite easy to dispense with:
because we have no innate need for them. Dropping wheat and dairy has never
caused me any pain at all. Dropping animal foods (chicken, fish, et al) -
when I went through a fruitarian phase - was very difficult - indeed
impossible in the long term.

Best Wishes,

John