CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Jackie Jacombs <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:11:37 +0100

Hi Ginny

I am not sure what you mean by a diabetic diet.  My daughter who is 8 years
old eats the same sort of diet as everybody else except that its gluten
free.   I mean I don't let her eat loads of sweets/candy but I didn't let my
other children eat lots of rubbish either but she still has ice-cream nearly
everyday in the summer and cookies and sometimes a cake or muffin for
bedtime snack.  The only sugar substitute she has is in diet drinks.
She has had diabetes for 3 and a half years and her HbA1c is always between
6.9 and 5.5.

Its most likely that you have type 1 if you have other autoimmune diseases.
You don't say how old you are.  Are you a very young adult or a bit older
than that??? and is that  why there is some uncertainty about the diagnosis?
You say that you have been DX for two years but have only been on insulin
for a year.  So does that mean that you were on diet and exercise or other
meds??  Did you need to lose weight?  Is that why you were on a "diabetic"
diet.

It is possible that you have (LADA) or  Late onset Autoimmune Diabetes in
Adults. this can often be mistaken for type 2 diabetes that is slow to
progress from the time it is diagnosed.
I have found a short article on this link.  On South Sefton Diabetes Group
it on a PDF document and takes a little while to download.  There are quite
a few interesting things on here about classification of different types of
diabetes.  If you go to page 9 you will find an article about :

Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA)

http://www.ssdg.org.uk/pdf/what_is_diabetes.pdf

It wont let me paste the text for some reason, so you will have to go and
see for yourself.  Its not a long article but gives an outline of the
condition.  You may well find a lot more articles about this elsewhere on
the web.

There is quite a lot on the web about LADA if you do a search.

Its a shame more people dont post.

Jackie, England
Mum of Sasha aged 8 dx 1999, twin sister Rebecca, both coeliac 2001
Mum also to Danni and Nicola, wife to Terry