CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beverly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:43:05 EST

Hello all-

As way of formal introduction- my son Brandon was diagnosed with diabetes at
the age of 3.  After about two months of getting used to the diabetic diet he
began having very severe stomach cramps, we thought he was allergic to the
Nutrasweet in all the diet drinks he was having, however after several tests
the docs discovered that he had a malrotation of his intestines.  At this
point he was requiring no insulin to manage his blood sugar levels.  He had
to have surgery to correct this problem and then about 2 months after that he
began having severe diarrhea and was literally wasting away before our eyes.
Again after several tests we were sent to a gastro in another city.  We were
sent home with instructions to only give him juice and milk as forms of
liquid---the problem got worse.  We went back 2 weeks later for a biopsy and
celiac was confirmed.  We flew home and I went to the health food store
wondering what in the world I was going to feed this child.  After 2 months
on the diet he had gained 20 pounds!!!!  However--the diabetes returned and
we were back on the 3 shots a day routine.

Now here we are 5 years later and he is the picture of health.  He is in the
3rd grade and is an honor roll student excelling in the "gifted and talented"
program at his school.  People look at him and say how do you do it????  I
just tell them it's easy---(they wouldn't understand anyway-right?)  I just
love him.

We look back know and refer to 1993 as the year from hell !!  But we have come
a long way.

Sorry this is so long---I just wanted to share with those who would
understand.  Thanks to all in this new group-you are all an inspiration.

Beverly Ford
Odessa, Tx