CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:45:26 -0800

Welcome aboard John! You wrote: It took five minutes to adjust to, because for
the first time in a long time I was eating a diet which didn't make me
chronically ill. Very attractive! <snip>

* I guess the concept & joy of getting gluten out of one's system, and
stopping the auto immune reaction is a wonderful thing. In practicality,
going 100% gluten free is tricky, because labeling is inadequate,
ingredients can be listed ominiously (ie What IS "Natural Flavoring"
exactly?) , and foods cooked outside of our own safe kitchens can pick
up cross contamination in both manufacturing and cooking processes.
 I found no physician or dietician that had comprehensive lists of
"sub-ingredients" that can or may contain gluten. For people who are
highly sensitive to gluten, weeding out things like white vinegar, and
mono & diglycerides and other glutens is sometimes discovered through
trial & error. It was the Internet that finally produced the answers to
the details of going 100% gluten free, for me. I believe it will take
most people longer than 5 minutes to adjust!

Fran