CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steven Besler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:41:29 -0700

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just over two years ago.  It seems
that I am experiencing many symptoms of celiac disease.  I've gone to
my doctor and he have me a requisition for an anti-gliaden blood test.

I've only been on a GF diet for just over a week, and I feel better
than I have in a year (or two).

So my question is: "Should I eat gluten before my anti-gliaden blood
test?".  I've read on the 'net that being on a GF diet may cause a
false negative for this test.

I think I can handle the blood glucose and celiac symptoms that would
result from consuming some gluten before the test.  I just unintentionally
ate some gluten a few days ago, and definitely knew about it!

In my case, it seems that any discomfort from a small dose of gluten
would not compare with the discomfort/hassle of needing several additional
tests.

What's strange is that both my GP and the lab say that I don't need
to be on a gluten-containing diet in order to take the test, which doesn't
seem to be true.  Also, my GP seemed to think that a positive test was
a definitive diagnosis whereas I have read differently on the 'net.

Thanks in advance for any information,

Steve

PS: I'm thinking of having the test in the next couple of days

--
Steven K. Besler                                       <[log in to unmask]>
Global Village Consulting, Inc.                 <http://www.global-village.net>