CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daniel Grochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:25:38 -0400

Hi Ginny,

Your situation is just the opposite of mine.  I was diagnosed with diabetes 35 years ago at the ripe old age of 13.  Definitely Type 1.  If your body makes no insulin, you are Type 1, otherwise you are Type 2, even if you require insulin to control it, is the way I understand it.  It seems people just try to make things more confusing than they really are.  In July this year I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease after about eight months of unexplained weight loss.  Weight I really couldn't afford to lose.  That was combined with loss of strength.  My blood test numbers were dramatically high and the biopsy confirmed it.  Who knows how long I have had it?

I have been the same weight since I was in college.  The "diabetic diet" basically kept me at the same weight.  I have never found the "diet" part of diabetes to be that difficult because basically you can juggle what you eat with insulin and exercise.  The food is not toxic to you.  Now that I cannot eat anything with gluten, even one crumb, that is much more difficult and restrictive.  The hard part of diabetes, for me at least, is the fact that you have to juggle everything to try to keep blood sugars (and weight) in the correct range.  Diet, exercise, insulin all combine 24-hours-a-day and you can never forget about it, even when sleeping.  You have to watch out for those lows.

At least with Celiac Disease I only have to think about it when I have to put something into my mouth.  That part is much harder than dealing with eating as someone who has diabetes.  I finally ate at a restaurant for the first time since my CD diagnosis last Sunday (Steak & Ale).  We had to ask all kinds of questions of our waiter, who was extremely helpful, in order to make sure I didn't get any gluten contaminated food.  I never had to do anything like that for the "diabetic diet".

As far as missing food with sugar in it, that is almost a non-issue.  I do quite a bit of in-line skating and always have to take something with me to counter act the possibility of a low.  That can be anything from Life Savers to a Coke.  True I can't just have it when I want it but I have gotten used to that over 35 years.  Right now I terribly miss eating regular pasta and bread.  And I can't call Domino's to deliver for a dinner of pizza and beer.  I suppose over time I won't miss that anymore, like you.  Right now that dosn't seem possible.  Our family likes to take road trips and I don't know how I am going to deal with not being able to stop at a fast food place for a burger and fries and getting back out on the road.

I still haven't gotten all of my weight or strength back, which makes it very difficult to skate, and am quite frustrated by it.  From reading the postings on the list serve most people react fairly quickly to an accidental ingestion of gluten so can easily determine what to avoid.  My only clue is the weight loss and that takes time to show itself.  I never know if I have had contaminated food or not.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  Hope it helps.

Dan