CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 13:44:04 -0400

I'm really sorry if you were waiting for this summary.  Basically I have too
much going on.  I need to have blood work done this week so the doctor added
the thyroid panel to it.
I did learn a lot about this subject so I wanted to spare the responses with
you.  I have been eating more protein and think that was the answer.  Thank
you to all that posted.
Below is my original post:

Can anyone tell me why I am always so hungry? I had a bagel from
Kinnikinnick this morning and an apple a few hours later. I feel like I had
nothing to eat. Is this from insulin? thyroid?
I have gained a lot of weight this past year and dieting is just not
working. Any ideas?

Ginny
------------------------------------
I had the same problem for a while. what i realized(this helps my type 1
diabetes too) is that a lot of the gluten free foods available have little
or no fiber content.  fiber goes along way in keeping you fuller longer and
helps provide more nutrition instead of empty calories, which unfortunately
is what a lot of the gluten free goodies are.  try eating half and half.
eat a gluten free cereal that has more fiber in it. try grits or Bobs Red
Mill Really Tasty Hot Cereal instead of cream of rice, for example. add mor
veggies to your diet too. they are very filling.  make sure you are eating
enough protein too. its much more filling.  if you only eat carbs they will
never completely fill you up.
 Insulin can definitely have an effect, so can (therefore) low/high blood
sugar, SO can dehydration. I am not personally either diabetic or celiac,
(my daughter is -you and I have corresponded before, I think!), but I find
that carbs and fruit do NOT stick with me as well as protein; eg, if I have
pasta, or a salad for lunch, or a cookie, I am starved much earlier than if
I have a tuna fish sandwich, or a salad with chicken in it! And drink lots
of water- that makes a big difference to me!

    I have had that exact feeling for years and dieted everyday and never
lost a pound. I have just recently tried the fat flush diet and I lost 15
lbs. to me it is a miracle.  I felt better right away, it cuts out breads,
fats, and high carbohydrates.  I have more energy, love the recipes (the
food
is very healthy and also very tasty).  My husband loves the food he cheats
and has bigger portions and also an occasional bread or rice, and other
snacks, he has lost about 12 pounds. He was only about 15 pounds over weight
and could not lose it.  I am now holding my own, have eaten a few of my
favorite foods but I am maintaining this weight.  Plan to go back in maybe a
couple weeks and loose another 15 pounds.
------------------------------------
Eating a little bit of protein and fat with each meal helps curb the hunger.
You need the protein to slow down the absorption of carbohydrates.  I know
that diabetics shouldn't each so much protein, but a little bit at each meal
really helps the appetite.  Your body starts to crave more food if it
doesn't have that little bit of protein.  I eat an egg fried in a little bit
of butter on a piece of plain toast, and 1/2 c. of orange juice for
breakfast each day.  I take about two units of humilog to cover the carbs.
I don't usually feel hungry after breakfast until about three hours later
when I eat lunch.  Losing weight was a very difficult thing for me because I
LOVE to eat.  So the best thing I did for myself was exercise more, not
boring routine exercise, but dancing, going skiing, hiking, walking, biking,
whatever the season offers.  I found that even walking for 20-30 three times
a week really helped me lose weight. I also cut down on fat intake,
notcarbohydrates, but fats.  I kept my intake to about 18-22 grams a day.  I
also made a concerted effort to eat more vegetables.  I also didn't try to
lose more than two pounds a month.  I'm very short, 4'11" and went from 145
to 120 in two years.  I gained and lost a few pounds at a time, but
generally I went steadily down at a very slow rate.  I figured it took me
several years to gain the weight, it should take at least of few to lose it,
so my body didn't go through drasic changes.  Don't be hard on your sefl,
and give yourself non-food related rewards for every three or four pounds
that stays off over a few months' time.  My favorite reward is buying CD's,
second-hand clothes, a piece of jewelry, etc.
---------------------------------------
Ginny, you will probably hear this from a lot of people, but both the bagel
and the apple in many people produce a pretty strong glycemic response. In
effect, they are poor food choices for your purpose of feeling satisfied,
and losing (or at least not gaining) weight.

For example, yesterday I had sausage and eggs for breakfast, but no bread or
juice. At 12:30 I had a half pound steak , broccoli, and a salad. Then when
I came home, I cut grass with a push mower for over 2 hours, and still
wasn't too hungry to watch a little of the basketball game at 7, before
getting some dinner. I find that meat, fish and vegetables keep me happy
this way. I add small amounts of fruit at the end of some meals, for taste
and nutritional values.

Since becoming celiac and starting to eat this way, I have lost 15#, and at
age 62 I am lean, strong, 5'10" and 155#. With my shirt off you see ribs,
and muscles, not fat. There are probably valid criticisms of this way of
eating, but they are sure not that you don't feel and look good, because you
do. Many people would reject it because of cholesterol fears. My cholesterol
is no better or worse than it was before starting. Not low, but not really
high either. So I feel that is ok. It wasn't low on the typical high carb
American diet anyway.

There are lots of lo-carb resources on the web. I steer away from huge
amounts of butter. I also prefer olive oil to vegetable oils or margarine.
And I avoid trans-fats like the plague. But all in all, the diet is so
enjoyable and effective, it makes being celiac a lot easier to deal with.

I guess there are many ways to lose weight, but this one doesn't hurt, or
require lots of willpower. Good luck with whatever route you follow.