CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 00:37:12 EST
In a message dated 12/3/99 4:12:08 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>So, were we stupid? I don't think so. Neither the Africans are. These are
>very complex matters. Old, ancient hatered, ethnic nationalism and other
>atavisms were enlivened, media manipulation was formidable, and US donation
>to nationalist parties in ex -Yugoslavia were heavy; in this atmosphere,
>civil war was inevitable. European ( Western) Civilization is an imposant
>cultural and intelectual construction. But, "Wisdom of the West" shouldnt
>prevent us from detecting the ill-structures of
>european-western-civilization: racism, imperialism, militarism, statism,
>capitalism.
>So, American Empire, in it's bloodthirsty capitalist effort , is the one to
>blame for African reality.

    I can understand your hatred of America for what was done to your country
but it is stretching credulity to suggest that Muslims, Croats, and Serbs
need any outside help to kill each other.  During Tito's tenure the killing
was controlled by implementation of a police state (relatively speaking).  As
to Africa, slavery was not introduced by westerners and America had no
colonies there and Africa has no excuses left.