CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
frank scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 12:38:02 -0700
    COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
june,2004

The problem is war , not warriors
by frank scott

Photos showing an affirmative action group of Americans treating their
Iraqi captives as inhuman sex toys have shocked some, leading to angry
charges and countercharges. This  wartime prison porn has been deemed
intolerable by our leaders, and many well intentioned followers, while
the serial killings of “normal” warfare remain unquestioned by both
groups. Low level scapegoats will be punished, but the  high level
murderers most responsible are likely to be untouched by the sound and
fury this incident creates .

What these  troops did was vicious, but compared to the normal brutality
of  war, it was light stuff. The present policy of slaughter, for israel
and oil, is no different from any other exercise in mass murder. Those
who are most accountable for the crime are  the ones who direct its
battles, not the ones who perform its action.

Many  still think that when  murder is committed in a state sanctioned
and verbally sanitized form called war, it  leaves  parents whose
children's brains have been blown out somehow grateful that a
professional bomber has done the deed, and not some amateur killer.
After 2,000 years of attempted civilization,  it is worse than naive for
allegedly enlightened people  to still practice  warfare’s  irrational
barbarism, and see it  as a rational  means of solving  problems.

In order to perpetuate this savage practice ,  enemies are always
depicted as  inhuman and depraved, so that people tolerate their being
murdered . And those we train to do the  killing  suffer the most
reprehensible attacks on their consciousness, to get them  into battle
with a desire to save their society from the  demonic enemy.

And that is exactly how the American warrior is seen  by the people he,
or she, is sent to murder. There is  nothing new about this, nor  should
it be shocking that some of our troops treat Iraqi prisoners as  animals
and sex toys. We have murdered  hundreds of thousands of  innocent
Iraqis in  wars and with sanctions; how can we be surprised when our
trained killers  find pleasure in abusing those they have been taught
are  guilty of satanic evil, like 911 ?

The social perversion of  war is made even worse by the present rulers
of empire, fanatics  intent on making the world safer for their form of
biblical idiocy. This  rapture crazed, chosen people cult  is not only
endangering the  Islamic and arab worlds, but  putting the lives of all
Americans in jeopardy. In these desperate circumstances, it is
especially hypocritical to cluck about the sins of some troops,  who
only practiced the racist brutality that their political teachers
preach, and their religious preachers teach.

While our murderous treatment of iraqis and Palestinians creates more
hatred for America , the political opposition to our court appointed DC
dimwit is offering to “protect” israel  even more strongly than the
present regime does. This  deranged, immoral foreign policy, makes
punishing troops in Iraq for their treatment of victims in prison as
sensible as punishing pilots in japan for their treatment of victims in
Hiroshima .

Given the nasty anti-Semitic picture of the arab world presented in our
culture, can we really be surprised by our troops behavior ? Even
before, but especially since 911 ,  our “civilization” has  depicted,
and treated arabs as a lower form of life. Of course, the daily outrages
in Palestine  and Iraq are accompanied by mealy-mouthed platitudes about
democracy and peace, but if a judgmental Judeo-Christian god existed, it
might unleash  a holocaust of redemptive horror on people who could
practice such blatant hypocrisy.

We don’t have to confront such a god in the physical world. But we do
have to confront our moral  responsibility and face the asinine
practice of committing mass murder  and  accepting  it as proper and
decent, if conducted according to rules created by  political
degenerates. These  are the creatures who  sit in comfortable rooms and
write laws about how atrocities are  properly performed. They rule that
It’s okay to depict people as enemy savages and shatter their bodies in
a bombing raid, but for heavens sake, don’t mistreat them while they’re
prisoners. That makes great sense, if you’re a homicidal moron.

The political and economic rulers who decide on making war are the real
criminals, not  the warriors they send to do the work . Once presented
with an enemy who is trying to kill them,  people will do what is
necessary to survive. This, even without the depiction of enemies as
being less than human, since those enemies will perform in exactly the
fashion  dictated by the rules of inhuman warfare. Meanwhile, the
responsible criminals  sit in safety and security as they appropriate
funds for the mass murder being committed by pawns who perform their
slaughter.

The  degradation inflicted on the iraqi prisoners has been taught these
troops by those who knew what the affect would be. That  consciousness
management works on the general population; how could it not have an
even greater impact on those we send to act out our perverted policy?

Many  still believe we’re liberating the very people we’ve treated so
barbarically for years, and that Saddam had a secret stash of  weapons
of mass destruction. Some of us  accept these fables  as we  believe in
gods who watch over us, personally, and to hell with everyone else. Or
a  god who has chosen our group for divine benefits, while consigning
others to  humanity’s dung heap.

But of all the superstitious swill we swallow, none is more destructive
than the notion that  mass murder can be committed in a morally legal
and  humane way.

The proof has always been there , but perhaps never so clearly as recent
events make it. Politicians will exploit this for their own ends, but it
is for the people to wake up and face reality. The problem is war, not
warriors. The solution should be obvious. To humans,  not barbarians.

Copyright (c) 2004 by Frank Scott. All rights reserved.

             This text may be used and shared in accordance with the
             fair-use provisions of U.S. copyright law, and it may be
           archived and redistributed in electronic form, provided that
            the author is notified and no fee is charged for access.
           Archiving, redistribution, or republication of this text on
          other terms, in any medium, requires the consent of the author

frank scott
email: [log in to unmask]
225 laurel place, san rafael ca. 94901
(415)457 2415  cell (415)847 4105