CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 23:56:32 EST
In a message dated 4/2/2002 9:43:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> "The Law of Return (1950) grants every Jew, wherever he or she may be, the
> right to come to Israel as an oleh (a Jew immigrating to Israel) and become
> an Israeli citizen. For the purposes of this Law, "Jew" means a person who
> was born of a Jewish mother or has converted to Judaism and is not a member
> of another religion."
>
> Which sure sounds to me like a religious state....

No.... It's the Law of Return. It makes it easier for Jewish people to become
citzens of Israel, the same way that it is easy for European Christians to
become citizens of Israel.

By the way-- Do you consider Iraq a Muslim state?

-- David