CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrej Grubacic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:33:11 +0100
Just one mistake: Green Left Weekly wasnt in this group no to NATO and no to
Milosevic;
 They were , most definitely, in yes Albanians kill Serbians camp....The
Nation was also more yes Kosovo no Milosevic...On this camp, who seconded
KLA murderers, I wont spare words
And one comment: while I have great respect for everyone who was on the
street, on the squere, on his computer or agitating in campus against the
war, his political and ideological line notwithstanding, and this goes for
IAC and WWP as probably the most prominent organizational forces ( they
deserve alcl the credit), I must say that I am seconding NO to NATO NO to
Milosevic position; I live under the yoke of Milosevic and of NATO- who has
already made with this Bondstill camp  largest millitary base in Europe- and
i think that we must preserve precious critical balance. ZNet, for instance,
and Chomsky himself, ZNet is his outlet, had defined a good critical stance
on the aggression on my country. They made severe mistakes in the beggining,
from clumsiness and ignorance about the subject, but they became  criticaly
more sophisticated (under the influence of Diana Johnston in the first
place), so I think that they deserve a separate treatement in this group. I
am reffering especcialy to Ed Herman who had brilliant anti war articles.
So, No to NATO and NO to Milosevic shouldnt prevent us from building anti-
NATO movement and organize movement against occupation of Balkans and
Eastern Europe.
But this part of Tony's argumentation is ,unfortunately, true:

> All that talk about the evil Milosevic, and  now a lot of silence about
> NATO.

NATO is occupying Balkans and I dont hear voices on the Left who are
confronting this , at least not loud voices. Where are they? Bulgaria and
Romania are turned into service areas, living on the edge of material
existance; Bosna is under protectorate; Croatia is rulled by neo-nazi regime
( we'll see the forthcoming elections, though..) with NATO basis all over
the place; Macedonia does exist only virtualy; Serbia is on her knees and
people are starving without medicaments, oil, milk, with eletricity
shortages, waiting for US to take over Montenegro and it is just matter of
days.....
Working clasess in these countries are completely empoverished.
We have to build an international movement opposing NATO occupation of
Balkans and colonization of Eastern Europe. But without Ho-Ho-Ho-schi Min
worshiping of the leaders of Balkan countries.
We should be, in unison, opposing western interventionism, militarism,
imperialism, corporate colonialism as evils per se, but not by giving the
support to Milosevic, UCK or Saddam Hussein;only by acting in this way , we
can built a homogenous front on the left.
This strategy is, so I think, both ethical- it refuses the notions of
Leaders and Power , corrupted by definition- and pragmatical......
But I am afraid that Social Democrats and pseudoliberals are not ready for
this. I see that from the speed anti-serbism and maltreatement of Balkans
are  becoming accepted even on this list. Is it ignorance? Racism?
Manufactured consent? Manufactured confusion?
We have to fight this confusion, if this is the problem; danger of statist
and imperialist mediatic manipulation and confusing of global public whilst
dezorganizing the Left was never so strong and powerfull.......
  So, instead of asking "S-democrats" why you didnt behave rationaly and
ethicaly during the aggression, we should start asking them where are you
now? And try to define a coherent, anti militaristic and anti imperialistic
strategy.
                           @ndrej

           "Confusion is mightier than the sword."

                        - Abbie Hoffman