CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wat Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:06:55 -0800
William Meecham wrote:
>The money is of course extracted from the economy, where else, and
>must be paid for out of the wages of those doing productive work.
>Over consumption must be overcome (lamely) else recession depressions
>result since production must be stopped to prevent gigantic constipation
>of the economic system.  What it represents is value extracted from
>productive labor, which advertising is not.
>wcm

The only way money can be 'extracted' from the economy is if people are
burying it under their mattresses.  The money is of course not 'extracted.'

This is exactly the same argument used against welfare:
Since money is God's report card and since God wants us to be productive in
our endeavors, advertising people [welfare mothers] should be made to live
on a garbage dump and gnaw diseased rodents until they see the errors of
their ways and undertake productive work.
Whether anyone's work is productive or not may not be a judgement  we'd
like to make.