CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:41:37 +1000
>being thrifty, not whole-heartedly
>embracing the belief that you need to consume as much as possible

>Speaking up for the poor and disenfranchised groups.

>Speaking up for workers rights and fair compensation over corporate greed.

>Running for office for any party other than the 3 big ones

While I know what these suggestions are getting at, I feel they are all
too esoteric. If we are looking for elements of present day McCarthyism,
we must be looking for evidence of actual 'purging', and for a clear role
by judicial or quasi-judicial institutions. We are obviously not going to
find anything as cohesive and 'coherent' as McCarthy's work, but I think
there are slivers of McCarthiosis all over the place...

the pre-trial vetting procedure you have in the death penalty States
where only people of a certain, deplorable mindset can serve on a jury in
a murder trial.

the blocking of the appointment of non-racist judges in North Carolina
and elsewhere. Also the blocking of pro-life judges, ambassadors etc.

the life and works of Jesse Helms on his Foreign Affairs committee

the machinations of the anti-Castro political set-up in Florida

pro-Palestinians being left off the U.S. arab-israeli reconcilliation
committee after lobbying from pro-israel elements

within the U.S. right, the attempts to systematically exclude
non-creationists, campaign finance reform advocates, those unwilling to
declare themselves fundementalist christians, etc.

some kind of neo-mccarthyite syndrome must be at work when you look at
the degree of unanimity in washington over things like nmd

the ongoing 'purge' of figures in national governments around the world
who wish to pursue an independent, autonomous social and economic
policies, or deviate from the wishes of the USA in some other way

the treatment of cannabis users, especially by ambitious D.A.s in
election years! madness!

I'm sure my list seems esoteric too! What I'm getting at though is
tangible exclusion, performed by mandated institutions, rather than a
list of elements who might feel they are politically excluded

apologies for the missing capial letters - its a case of baby-cuddling
one fingeredness!

adrian