CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 22:54:33 EST
In a message dated 12/2/99 1:43:33 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>I'm kind of surprised,  that you do not see any Western responsibility,
>in the current plagues raging across Africa.     After 500 years+ of
>looting and plunder of the African continet,  it is hard not to call
>this GENOCIDE.

    I'm kind of surprised that you have decided to play the African
Apologist.  If you are suggesting that AIDS is genocide then it is a
self-inflicted genocide and not of the 'West's' doing.

>This is not a past issue.     And the United States has continued to
>actively participate and foment war across Africa.    Disease is a
>natural result of war,  and war created poverty.

    How does the United States foment war in Africa?  Why is the African so
stupid as to commit war or slaughter against each other on the orders of the
American government?   Do you think they are so spineless and so unconcerned
for their fellow citizens?

>A review of Clinton policies in Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Rwanda alone,
>shows direct responsibility in creating wars that have murdered
>millions.

    How?

   It is very hard to put into place,  disease prevention
>programs  under these circumstances.    In fact,  there has been seen
>little desire to do so, despite the  future threat that disease poses
>for Americans themselves.

    It is extraordinary to observe the twisted and convoluted logic used by
those who use the West in general and America in particular to make excuses
for the failings or negative actions of others.  It is the responsibility of
African nations to establish disease prevention programs for their societies.

>I suggest, as has Kofi Annan, that while we have our eyes on smaller
>disputes elsewhere,  that theelse
>on the globe.

   And what American militarism in Africa would that be?
Yours,
Issodhos