EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:32:58 -0500
Hello colleagues,

A friend who uses Jaws has been "informed" that her company expects its
employees to start using a web-based application called "Microsoft Outlook
Web Access" for managing e-mail, appointments, contacts, and so on.

I have never seen it before. Outlook Web Access resembles "regular" Outlook,
but because it is web-based rather than Windows-based, it not work like
regular Outlook. Try as I might, I could not figure out straightforward ways
to make it work with Jaws. For example, the "best" way I found to choose an
e-mail message to read was to invoke the links list, and then choose one of
the approximately 25 links called "unnamed." These links represented the
contents of the inbox. Because the sender and subject appear in a data table
cell, I also tried using the set of Jaws table reading hotkeys, but had
little success using this technique.

I would be interested to hear from screen reader users who have mastered
Outlook Web Access, and/or assistive technologists who have set-up Jaws to
work with the application. My guess is that scripting is required to make it
screen reader accessible, but I hope I am wrong. I hunted for program
settings that would make the application cooperate better with Jaws, but
this did not help.

Alan

Alan Cantor
Cantor Access Inc.