ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2015 09:06:24 -0500
Prophetic Bulletin- Message to the Supreme Court
  MorningStar Prophetic Bulletin #92 - April 8, 2015

James Robison

James Robison

This is concise and clear statement on the
implications of the coming Supreme Court decision
on same-sex marriage could be the biggest blow in
recent history to religious freedom in America,
and may truly be, as it is being called, "A
Bonhoeffer Moment." This is a must read for every
Christian in America. – Rick Joyner

             This Tuesday, March 10, I was asked
to join more than thirty other deeply concerned
church leaders on a conference call. The topic
was the marriage and family-damaging decision the Supreme Court may soon make.

             If they follow present cultural
trends and rulings of numerous lower courts, by
June they will rule against the biblical and
historical institution of marriage in favor of
what is being called “same-sex marriage.” Below
are excerpts from comments and concerns expressed
by those who participated in the call.

             These comments have been edited and
condensed without compromising the content or
concerns. I felt very deeply in my heart that it
should be shared with all who are concerned about
the obvious assault on faith, family and freedom.

Opening remarks by Rick Scarborough (President – Vision America Action)

             There is a growing concern about the
nature of the ruling the Supreme Court will hand
down in June on same-sex marriage. We believe
that the majority of the Court will rule in favor
of elevating what we have always taught to be a
sinful lifestyle to the stature of a civil right
— forcing us to choose between their ruling and
our religious convictions that are based on
Scripture. This ruling will conflict with our
deeply held conviction and religious belief.

             With the current administration,
there is every reason to believe that the
Executive Branch will use the full weight of the
Federal justice system to enforce this. We must
be prepared for that possibility.

             I am speaking as a minister to the
moral and biblical ramifications of this expected
ruling. This would be a decision as incorrect and
as tragic as Dred Scott. Because of the trends
and cultural shifts that we have witnessed in
culture over the past forty years, we have all
known that this day would likely come and
Christians would be put at odds with the culture and the courts.

             I believe we are there. We are
approaching a Bonhoeffer moment in America.

             Outrageous penalties are now being
assessed against people of faith and conviction
who haven’t changed their position on marriage.
Rather it’s the courts that have changed the
definitions, the rules, and laws that now govern
us. They are ruling against Nature’s Law and
Nature’s God. Christians are being declared the
lawbreakers when we are simply living by what we
have always believed, and by a set of laws that
the culture historically has agreed to.

             My desire as a pastor is to see
another Great Awakening, and I pray that those
caught up in any sin will find Jesus and God’s
grace, but that can only come when there is a
biblical standard lifted up and acknowledged as
truth. Right now the courts are changing the
playing field and declaring that what the natural
eye can see and natural law reveals is not truth.
Therefore, this is a Bonhoeffer moment. What will
we do, and how will we respond?

             The timing of this conference call
in coordination with the anniversary of the stand
on the bridge in Selma is remarkable. Things do
not change if no one stands up and takes the
brunt. Right after a word from Dr. Dobson, Mat
Staver will walk us through the seriousness of
the situation. We must find the mind of God and
walk uprightly regardless of the direction of the culture or the Court.

Dr. James Dobson (Founder – Family Talk Radio)

             Thank you, Rick. That was a
beautiful statement you made, and it stirs my
heart. As Christian leaders, we cannot sit and
let our voices go silent when that’s what the
rest of the world, Congress, and many other
Christian leaders and pastors are doing. We must
stand together. Everyone I have talked to here at Family Talk agrees.

             We will be attacked from every
direction, and critics will do all they can to
weaken and embarrass us, but so what? Are we
going to sit on our reputations and go to our
graves without having played a role? This is Roe
v. Wade all over again. I am standing shoulder to
shoulder with all who will stand up for God’s
Word concerning marriage. We don’t know all of
the steps that must be taken, but God will reveal
His will. To the extent that I am able to
influence anybody, I will do it with passion.

Mat Staver (Founder – Liberty Counsel)

             I express my thanks to Rick
Scarborough and Dr. Dobson. Their comments
resonate with all of us. Let me address the
seriousness and the basis for engaging with
resistance to a Supreme Court decision that could
go the wrong way. Once you elevate same-sex
marriage to the level of protected status,
whether on the federal or the state level, you
begin to change and transform the face of
society. In my view, it will result in the
beginning of the end of Western Civilization.

             When you make a government policy
that says that this is a relationship between
humans that is so critical, so fundamental, and
so essential to our society and to our future
that we are going to protect it by law and
surround it with laws and benefits that are
designed to protect that relationship as a policy
matter, you are taking a big step. You are
essentially saying that boys and girls don’t need
moms and dads—that moms and dads are irrelevant.

             Gender becomes pointless when
government adopts same-sex marriage. It creates a
genderless relationship out of a very gender
specific relationship. It says that it doesn’t
matter and that two moms or two dads are
absolutely equivalent to a mom and a dad.

             Immediately, when elevated to that
level of a constitutionally protected category,
it is given the same status as race. What you
cannot legally do with respect to race, you will
not be able to do legally with respect to
same-sex unions and sexual immorality.

             Think of race in the context of
religious expression or conscience expression and
replace it with sexual immorality, transsexualism
or so-called gender identity. For example,
churches and other religious organizations are
exempt from the religious discrimination
provisions of federal, state, or local
nondiscrimination laws. But they are not exempted
from the race provisions. So Catholics can hire
Catholics, and Baptists can hire Baptists, but
they cannot hire only “white” Catholics or only
“white” Baptists. They would face significant
penalties. You can’t have separate restrooms or
drinking fountains for people of a different
color. If a church did that, they would be liable
for a significant amount of damages because of
discrimination on the basis of race.

             Same-sex marriage or laws including
sexual orientation or gender identity as a
non-discrimination category directly impact
religious organizations and churches. If a man
wants to use the women’s restroom and a church
official told him he could not, then that act
would be like telling people of color they cannot
use the “white only” restroom. You will also have
the same issues with tax exemption over sexual
preference as you have now over race.

         Already a Methodist church association
in New Jersey lost its property tax exemption
status because it refused to allow use of their
facilities for a same-sex union. Although the
church then obtained a religious exemption
instead, it ceased all weddings on its boardwalk
pavilion. Bob Jones University lost its tax
exemption status because it refused to allow
mixed-race dating. They have since abandoned that
false doctrinal belief, but they still lost their
tax exemption at the Supreme Court. It will not
be long if same-sex marriage is adopted that
other universities could lose tax exemptions if
they maintain a policy based on natural marriage and biblical morality.

             Anything that you can imagine on the
basis of race discrimination will apply to this
issue of sexual preference. There is a huge
collision coming. Those examples will be intensified significantly.

             Roe v. Wade was a time when the
church should have said no, regardless of what
seven Supreme Court justices said. The difference
is Roe was a wrong decision that resulted in a
loss of life, but people were not forced to
participate. With this issue, people will be
forced to participate and affirm it. It will
affect licenses for counselors, attorney
disciplines, and every licensing profession will be affected.

             In the history of the Supreme Court,
they have reversed themselves about 230 times,
and other Supreme Court decisions have been
overruled by new laws or Constitutional
amendments. Two were especially bad decisions.
There was the Dred Scott decision in 1857. The
Supreme Court told Scott he was not entitled to
full citizenship, because people believed that
“blacks are inferior human beings.” That was
contrary to the Constitution, natural law, and
revealed law, but we still went along with it, and we ended up in a civil war.

             Today no one would agree that was
right. Why did we obey it then? In the case of
Buck v. Bell a lady in Virginia was forcibly
sterilized as part of the eugenics movement. This
was promoted by Planned Parenthood because they
wanted to get rid of the “undesirables,” which
according to Planned Parenthood at the time
included blacks, the infirmed, and those with low IQs.

             They did this because there was a
history of low IQ in her family. The Supreme
Court said that there is no justice for her
because “three generations of imbeciles” in her
family was enough, so they upheld the decision.
When the Nazis were put on trial at the Nuremburg
trials, they cited the Buck v. Bell decision to
justify their use of forced sterilization. To
this day, that Supreme Court decision hasn’t been
overturned, though no one would justify that
decision today. It wasn’t right then, and it isn’t right now.

             In 1992, Planned Parenthood v. Casey
was argued in the Supreme Court. During that week
they voted, and it was a 5-4 vote to overrule Roe
v. Wade. For thirty days William Rehnquist was
writing the opinion to overrule it. For those
thirty days, O’Connor and Justice David Souter
lobbied Justice Anthony Kennedy who was part of the majority to overrule it.

             After thirty days, they broke
through, and he wrote a note to a fellow justice
Harry Blackmun who wrote the decision in 1973.
Kennedy switched his vote, so the Opinion was
taken away from Rehnquist and given to another
justice. So Roe v. Wade was upheld, rather than
overruled. O’Connor said in that Opinion that
even if Roe v. Wade was decided wrongly, we have
to uphold it because the power of the Court rests
solely in the confidence of the people.

             Unlike the executive branch, which
enforces the law, or the legislative branch,
which enacts the law, she said that the Supreme
Court has no power to enforce our law: the only
way our orders have enforcement is because the
people voluntarily comply. The executive branch
must uphold it. Upholding Roe v. Wade was
necessary, she argued, to uphold the power of the
Court and the confidence of the people that what
they do is right. She said in her Opinion that
upholding the decision of Roe v. Wade was a
necessity to maintain the authority of the Court
and the power of the institution.

             Historically we know that Thomas
Jefferson would not enforce the Alien and
Sedition Acts of 1798 that President John Adams
had signed. Jefferson wrote a letter to Abigail
Adams saying, what gives you the idea that the
judges have the final authority to be the
arbiters of the law? If that were the case, we would have a despotic branch.

             Lincoln advocated disobedience to
Dred Scott, and Andrew Jackson advocated
disobedience to the banking bill, so it’s not
unprecedented that both executives and
individuals have said some laws are just and some are unjust.

             Martin Luther King’s argument in
“Letter from Birmingham Jail” considered just and
unjust laws. Just laws are laws in conformity to
higher law we have a duty to obey. We also have a
duty to disobey laws that are against higher law
but be prepared for the consequences of the wrath
of the civil authorities. We still cannot obey the unjust laws.

             In 2004, same-sex marriage came to
Massachusetts. Catholic charities refused to
place orphans in same-sex homes, so they stopped
doing adoptions. What they should have done, and
now what we should do, is to say we are called on
a mission and that is to place orphans in homes
with moms and dads. We will not run from that
calling, but we will also not violate our
consciences and The Bible by placing them in a
place that is sinful and immoral. If you disagree
with it, bring your civil authority after us
because we will not voluntarily cease with our calling.

             The photographer out in New Mexico,
the baker in Oregon, Washington florist
Barronelle Stutzman—they are all facing the same
thing. We either all stand together, or we hang
separately. This is indeed a Bonhoeffer moment.
They might be able to pick us off individually,
but collectively they can’t. Whenever someone
gets targeted, we must gather around them and say no.

             In Alabama, the Supreme Court has
made a decision to refuse to enforce same-sex
marriage (read the decision at LC.org). When you
read the decision, you don’t get the impression
that the Alabama Supreme Court justices are
waiting for the June decision to see what the
U.S. Supreme Court decides. They are making their
stand now that they will not go along with it,
and their minds won’t be changed.

             It’s one thing to say you will
stand; it’s another to withstand the fines and
the potential of loss of your entire livelihood
(such as Barronelle Stutzman). We must
collectively support and stand with them and say
we will not cross that line. We need to let them
know now where we stand. Tell them now that if
they cross that line, they will become an
illegitimate institution, that the Supreme Court
will lose the respect of the American people and therefore lose its authority.

  James Robison is the Founder and Publisher of The Stream (stream.org).

Thanks much.

Many Blessings,

Pat Ferguson
"I can Do all Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13.