ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2019 08:15:08 -0600
Hi,

What a nuisance to have to clean up such a mess!  But, if you don't
mind, I think it's a blessing in disguise, 'cause it's an opportunity to
clean that part of your house so you don't need to do it so soon. :)

About me.  First off, the scriptures, Isaiah 26-4, you mentioned. The
Lord has shown me this:  "The more you trust Me, the more strength I can
give you."  Maybe this verse gives further details on the previous one,
how this can work.  We trust The Lord with confidence that He will give
us the strength we need to persevere in life, and it brings peace no
matter the circumstances.  He has been showing me that I am free not to
struggle with the way I was trying to come back and stick with Him- a
method I had been seemingly trying but not trying for most of my life
that has gotten me nowhere.  He was showing me, again and again, even
through someone else, that it is He who works in us both to will and to
do His good pleasure, the very next verse from the admonition to work
out our salvation with fear and trembling.  I still would appreciate
your prayers, please, that God will continue to help me see more clearly
what this all means.  God gets all the glory, but I want to say that our
brother Phil's ministry has helped me more than any Christian counselor
by not making assumptions about what my real problem was and how to deal
with it.  We depended on The Holy Spirit, because God knows everything
we can't ever know ourselves, no matter how much education and many
years of practice.  Thank you, Jesus!

These days I work on weaving plastic canvas to make a basket, work with
my laptop and iPhone.  On Fridays, I work with someone I call my social
caregiver.  After my dad went home to be with The Lord, my inheritance
has opened the world of independence wider, and I am the owner of a car,
which we use.  We talk a lot, run errands and have fun together.  She
has worked for my sister and our dad, so she knows some of my family too.

I met a blind lady, at a Christmas party at a social gathering for
people with disabilities.  Her niece took her to music therapy to play
keyboard.  We wanted to get together, but needed to wait till spring
when her niece would be available to take her out.  My caregiver and I
thought she was someone we never met.  When we finally met to have
lunch, we found that she was one of my playmates from way back when we
were kids at the Idaho state school for the blind!  we've since done
some activities with her, and I hope to pick her up for more when her
family isn't available to help.

I am a volunteer for Cochlear, the company that provides hearing
implants, corresponding via email and Braille so far.  And guess what, I
plan to get one on the other side!  Tomorrow I have an appointment with
the surgeon to make our final decision.  Please pray that God's will be
done.  There is a about a 20% chance that my balance could be
permanently impaired.  I went to a healthcare store to see what options
they had getting around, and tried a transport chair.  It's kind of like
a wheelchair except the legs are taken off and I can use my feet to
propel myself if I need it.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if I have
this issue as I recuperate from the surgery, as I had experienced before.

So that's a lot of what's going on in my neck of the woods. Anyone else
who hasn't spoken up yet?