EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tim Rowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:11:23 -0400
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

At 10:23 PM 10/12/2004 +1000, you wrote:
>Don't drop either the deadlifts (Art De Vany wrote about the Indian tribe in
>which the men could lift three times their body weight) or the clean and
>jerk (agility, power, coordination).  You are right - we have to come up
>with analogues, substitutes etc; we can't ever replicate the exercise,
>stress and life of our ancestors; the point is to come as close as we can to
>replicating the effect on our physiology.
>
>Keith

It would be interesting to make a list of modern exercise movements, and
what we feel the movement is approximating in a paleo perspective.  Frank
Forencich does this for some modern activities in Play as if Your Life
Depends on It starting on pg. 94.  He doesn't have much to say about
weightlifting, apart from the bench press.

Re: the lifting power of Indian tribes:  I'd love to see the data that came
from.  I think it referred to the deadlift, and if true, seems
astonishing.  I don't think I will ever come close to 3x my bodyweight in
the deadlift, even practicing the specific movement.

Tim