EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:25:39 +0900
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

On Friday, November 19, 2004, at 06:00 AM, Automatic digest processor
wrote:

> Rest of the article available here:
> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=3Dns99996681
>
> What are everyones thoughts on this?

Generally I agree with the article, except that like a lot of people,
when he makes a good point, he pushes it too far. Sure we are
excellently adapted to distance running, compared to most other
mammals. Even heavily built people can train and jog a marathon. We can
out-run most animals except a few other species also designed for long
distance running like caribou and dog/wolf species.

But, we are not just designed for running. Humans are the ultimate
do-it-all species. We climb pretty well, swim, pretty well, dive pretty
well, most everything except fly. We are designed for lots of things
besides just running. If anything, what we are primarily designed for
is carrying loads at a walk, not running.