EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 04:59:31 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

Sometimes we could use a simple, well-structured but comprehensive
document that sums up our rationale for our attraction or commitment to
aspects of life in the late Pleistocene.

Back in 1973, thirty years ago (fifteen years before those two other great
benchmarks, Boyd Eaton's The Paleolithic Prescription and 22 years before
Ray Audette's Neanderthin), Stephen Boyden published his 'Evolution and
Health'.

To the best of my knowledge, this was the earliest significant synthesis
of human health - physiological, psychological and social - with the
environment in an evolutionary context.  Boyden's paper remains an
excellent overview as it assumes no prior special knowledge from the
reader:

http://www.evfit.com/boyden_1973.htm

As I read through his paper I took myself back to what I was thinking in
1973 (superficial, woolly nonsense in the aftermath of the Woodstock
experience - hey, I got married in 1973!), so I can see why his
pathbreaking thesis went almost unnoticed.  It may not suit all purposes
and all readers as it is not a journalistic introduction.  Boyden is
direct, rigorous and scholarly rather than 'popular' as he focuses on
evolution, not physical activity or nutrition, though he mentions these.
He produced an historical milestone that still stands up today and
deserves wider recognition.  I hope you find it useful and interesting in
the history of ideas.  I have added it to this list's FAQ.

Keith