EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:06:55 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

Jim > 1) Intensity.  Agreed, this is a vital aspect of paleo exercise.  At least for men.

Wally > I believe it should be a mix, as in HIIT. When I bike I alternate between easy and hard. Some weight training I do with heavy weights and low reps, some with lighter weights and higher reps. I believe it's more reflective of paleo-life.

Perhaps.  And less effective.

I am a big believer in attempting to mimic our paleo past.  As far as exercise goes, we (at least the men) did intense exercise every few days followed by periods of rest.  And the harder we worked, the more our bodies' responded to the intense effort.  So intensity and irregularity and to exhaustion are elements of paleo exercise.  The fun thing I won't touch other than to say that the degree of fun has a pretty strong negative correlation to the amount of intensity.  That leaves us free form.  I'll say again that I believe it's possible to use machines to tax our bodies more than perhaps we would be able to in nature, as long as those machines are properly designed with human physiology in mind.  I find Drew Baye's articles interesting reading.  Here's one: http://www.baye.com/articles/baye006.html