GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Meara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2023 17:14:47 +1000
Hello all,

I was distracted by ANZAC ceremonies the other day, and had some other
thoughts I wanted to offer.

Re ontology

In Merleau-Ponty's sadly unfinished book, the Visible and the Invisible,
post the PhoP which many still quote, in the working notes  section, he
writes (from the Northwest University Studies edition writes:

Necessity to return to ontology - the ontological questioning and its
ramifications: The subject-object question, the question of
intersubjectivty, the question of Nature. (I wanted to put these in
italics,but my program doesn't allow that)

From the foreward, M-P's work was now before him not behind him, requiring a
description of the human organism, animal behaviour, and an analysis of the
phenomenon  of evolution.
I don't pretend to understand all of his thought processes, but they
resonate somewhat. Perhaps he would have moved on to ecosystems and
eco-therapy.  I'm more inclined now to agree with Heidegger, Dasein  (being
there), and being thrown into a world that already exists.

Incidentally, astrophysicists and astronomers recently claim that only 5% of
the universe's energies are visible, the rest is invisible -  dark matter
and
dark energy. Not much success in detecting them, results are perplexing, and
theories are deficient. At least so far.

Re other ontologies/belief systems

In Mahayana Buddhism there are no gods, heaven or hells only just the
practice  of engaging with the illusion of self, accepting the world as it
is, compassion and other practices including not so much emphasis in
meditation. One Japanese interpretation of Chan, Zen, involves koans,
presented by masters to students
such as:
"you cannot get it  by taking thought, you cannot get it by not taking
thought". Point being, to move from cognition to something more
experiential, reflective (after the event) and encouraging  insight and
ability to free flow.

For disclosure, I don't believe in God, heaven and hell. Some forms of
Theravadist Buuddism have pantheons, and the belief in reincarnation, but I
think they're
misguided. When my mother (brought up as a Presbyterian, as was I ) was on
her last legs, I asked her what did she thought about what happened
initially when she
died, she said 'nothing'. I agree with her. The other half of my family was
conservative  Catholic, but not all of my cousins subscribed to that.
Families!

To return to Karen's original questions, Fritz had it right, I think, in the
interdependent organism-environment  model. This applies from
microorganisms, creatures, and up to other social animals such as the great
apes, whales and humans. In the Bali monkey forest, I could groom monkeys
briefly , but they would then run away and steal sunglasses.
In a documentary on research on Orang-Utans, a mother,  years later, came
down form the trees, and presented her new young one to the researchers.
A moving experience to watch and some evidence for
cross species intelligence and interaction.

The self-other dichotomy, probably from Goodman's using Self as boundary
is problematic. Jean-Marie Robine's  survey on views of self had no
conclusion. Neither did an AAGT panel agree on what Field Theory was.
Perhaps ambiguity is in some ways healthy, but a challenge for students and
graduates, like going to a supermarket and picking out the products you
believe in.

The concept of boundaries is therefore suspect.  Cell membranes allow
transfer of
materials both ways across membranes and into the membranes themselves. It's
all a set of nonlinear adaptive processes the recent explorations of
epigenetics is an example.
Asking questions in not being an idiot. For me  relation trumps (sorry)
individualistic.

In James Gleick's book "Chaos" he describes how many of the thinkers and
scientists
in the 60s had concluded that was something else going on in our ways of
viewing the world, but didn't have the conceptual language to express it, so
stayed
silent for a while. Nowadays it's generally known as Complexity Theory, that
includes
fractals, and  self organising systems. Staemmler's call for moving with
sciences of the time is appropriate, and I
know some folk have written some things in this area.

One example of a fractal is known as Koch's snowflake. Start with a triangle
and repetitively add smaller and smaller triangles on each side with similar
proportions,  The length of the figure became infinite, yet
encloses a finite area. The more accurately you measure say for example the
coastline of
Australia at smaller and smaller scales, the more it becomes infinite.

Imagine you're walking on a flattish sandy beach when tide is starting to
come in. Where is the boundary between sea and land? What do feel under your
feet, and see? A variety of organisms.

The idea of a contact boundary tends to be described as a thing, rather than
nonlinear processes of interaction.

Enough already.

To quote Socrates: One thing I know, is that I know nothing.

Alan