IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2018 09:44:47 -0700
"As long as the only organization of our people is offering a way to
earn a living and even develop a career, it is hard to find people
who will act voluntarily and conduct struggles that could take years
to begin reaping tangible fruits. Our main fear is that even if an
independent advocacy organization will be established, it will not
succeed to survive alongside an association that offers jobs to its members.

"Moreover, organizations that deal with providing services are in
great danger: when there are economic constraints, such organizations
tend to invest mainly in developing partnerships with government
ministries, and the needs of the community are not fully met. People
who are not interested in advocacy but in developing services that
will improve the lives of people with psychosocial disabilities must
try to recruit to their organization men and women who will not be
afraid to lose budgets and will act as a real consumers' force."

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/03/personal-perspective-development-survivors-movement-israel/

www.peoplewho.org