NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Angel Katinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:45:20 EST
Hi Marla,
 Actually, it has gotten worse with time. I've always been severely allergic,
but have only started being anaphylactic in the last few years. Before that I
would have severe congestion and coughing, stridor (tight throat with squeaky
breathing) and pain, swelling and stiffness in my joints. Most of these
symptoms are the beginnings of anaphylactic responses. But, nothing life
threatening. I was told it would get worse with time, because each exposure
causes a more severe immune reaction and it would take less and less of an
amount of dairy protein to trigger it. I'm not only allergic to casein, but
also to whey proteins.
The weird thing is that I'm not lactose intolerant. I've never had any type
of LI response when exposed to dairy (diarrhea, bloating, etc.).
As a side note: After the first few reactions and the trying of goat's milk
(which I reacted the same to), my mother and doctor put me on some awful
concoction they whipped up to use as a formula. I ended up drinking this
until about halfway through grade school and then just went milk free. This
was before they had all the special infant formulas in the mainstream markets
and my mother was unable to breast feed. I used to challenge milk, until a
few years ago when I started having anaphylactic responses to it.  Now, I go
nowhere without at least 2 Epi-Pens (1 just doesn't stop the reaction).
Angel