NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aisha Piracha-Zakariya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:18:33 -0500
Hi Nancy,

Our daughter was also said to have reflux at age 8 weeks on, only later to
discover at the hospital at age 5 mos. (thru elimination and trial and error
of formulas, my changing my diet etc.), that she was milk protein allergic.
She had been FTT (failure to thrive) and had been losing weight - to be
brought back to some normal weight gain plan, she was on Pregestimil (it was
so foul, I don't know how she took it), but it saved her - very high
calorie/oz (like 24 cal/oz)and very $$$.  The RAST wasn't done until she was
almost one, as I believe you have to be a bit older before the antibodies
show up...I may be wrong... (we later tested her again and found she is also
nut/peanut,
legume allergic, along w/coconut! - She is also Asthmatic and on 2 different
inhalers at age 3 now)

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that I read recently in the FAAN
newsletter (Food Allergy & Asthma Network), an article about the medical
field and their quest for trying to find reasons for why food allergies have
manifested in so many children in recent years, why the numbers have gone up
so quickly and what is causing allergies to be triggered if one is
predisposed to them.  I found it interesting that drugs like Zantac for
controlling Reflux actually have been recently found to 'wake up', so to
speak, food allergens to those with a genetic predisposition. Our daughter
was given Zantac since age 8 weeks till about 3-4 mos, when I felt that it
wasn't helping her Reflux...and that while nursing her, she still vomitted
after every feeding...funny how my GI doctors jumped to think that it was
Reflux and not a milk allergy, when they are so common these days.  Of
course there are a host of other theories, like antibiotics given at birth,
the hygeine hypothesis, etc.

Anyway, just something you or others may want to know and ask your medical
professionals more about.

Aisha