NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Weavre Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:56:28 -0400
One more note, this time about the "pareve" or "parve" label ...

My orthodox Jewish allergist has warned me not to trust it. The standards
for keeping Kosher are high, but are NOT sufficient to prevent all
cross-contamination. I have a very sensitive, severe allergy, so pareve
isn't enough to be sure I'm safe. Someone who's less sensitive might be OK
with it, and I see it recommended often ... but it does not actually
guarantee that there's no dairy.

Weavre Cooper

-----Original Message-----
From: Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Mark Feblowitz
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: desserts?

Careful, though - Many of Trader Joe's chocolates have milk fat in them.

Those labeled "pareve" are more likely  to be dairy free. (That's the
Jewish/kosher designation meaning that it's ritually prepared without
dairy; but there's always a raging debate here as to whether
that's  *absolutely* dairy free - please let's not repeat that debate here).

I happen to like wacky cake because it's very easy to make, and you
can choose your own ingredients (e.g., orgainic, etc.).

Mark