PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sean Mcbride <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 01:00:22 -0400
Thanks Loren for your detailed reply to my question regarding carbohydrates.
I apologise for the delay in replying.
Your response clarified a question for me. As I stated in my last post,
Gould (1966),  observed that a 97-lb (44kg) kangaroo yielded only 4 ounces
(114g)of removable fat. Assuming for the sake of argument that the useable
carcass is around 65% of the total weight (Cordain et al. 2000:685)(although
I suspect a kangaroo would produce a higher useable weight than an
ungulate). So, we're looking at about 29kg of meat with 114g of fat.  It
would be unlikely for one individual to consume an entire Kangaroo, so let
us say it is shared between 10 people, providing around 3kg of meat and 11g
of fat per person (assuming it was divided equally which it probably
would
not be).

If (as the Angmagssalik eskimos seem to prefer [Speth 1989:334])a reasonable
mix of fat to protein is half -half (although Steffansson guggests one pound
of fat to 6-7 lbs of lean meat for pemmican), then the example above is way
out of kilter in terms of too much protein and not enough fat.  This diet
would need to be supplemented by carbohydrates in the form of fruit or
starch.  Since in my experience of Australian bush fruits many of them are
not particularly high in sugars (although Jenny would know better than I
about this)this would tend to indicate a need for starchy carbs.

Relating this back to palaeodiet - even hunting megafauna with an increase
in fat due to their increased size early peoples would still have had to
have used carbohydrate sources to offset the high protein levels. Since a
number of authors suggest that carbohydrate was scarce in these environments
the q
uestion becomes "What then did they eat" was it carbohydrates or were
they adapted to gluconeogenesis.

I hope this makes sense and would appreciate any comments

Cheers

Sean McBride

Cordain, L., J. Brand-Miller, S. B. Eaton, N. Mann, S.H.A. Holt and J.D.
Speth
2000 Plant-animal subsistence ratios and macronutrient energy estimations
in worldwide hunter-gatherer diets. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
71:682-692.

Gould, R.A.
1966 Notes on hunting, butchering and sharing among the Ngatatjara and
their neighbours in the Western Australian desert. Kroeber Anthropological
Society Papers 36:41-63.

Speth, J.D.
1989 Early hominid hunting and scavenging: The role of meat as an energy
source. Journal of Human Evolution 18:329-343.