PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:52:27 +1000
Ed,
I am proposing that organ meats can increase the hepatic capacity for urea
formation- by the provision of vitamin and mineral co-factors for the
production of urea. (This is analogous to the situation of the metabolism of
carbohydrates- it is sometimes mentioned that fruits contain sufficient
thiamine to enable to metabolism of their carbohydrate, whereas pure sucrose
does not). It should be possible to test this proposition with simple
feeding trials. It really depends on which vitamins and minerals are
required in which quantities to metabolise protein. One then can look at
their dietary sources. Liver, for example plays a major metabolic role as a
store for vitamins and minerals and so provides large quantities.

Perhaps they could increase ammonia excretion by providing co-factors for
that process too.

I have demonstrated some critical differences below with USDA figures
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/ for lamb liver and lamb leg- You will
observe that liver has significantly higher levels of Iron Phosphorus
Copper, Manganese, Selenium, Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid Thiamin
Riboflavin Niacin Pantothenic acid Vitamin B-6 Folate, B12 and Vitamin A.
Liver is often mentioned as a source of other nutrients such as biotin,
alpha lipoic acid, glutathione, and Co-Q10 (though I do not know their
bioavailablity).

I propose that some or all of these vitamins are required to metabolise
dietary protein. This in turn explains much of the reason why carnivores
require organ meats in their diets. High protein diets of dogs and lions are
high in organ meats and thus would be high in the above vitamins.
Traditional hunter gatherer diets may be similarly high in organ
meats(comments?)(NB organ meats were significant in ref 1).

I do not know if the PRAL (potential renal acid load) of organ meats differs
from that of muscle meats. The PRAL is determined by the metabolic fate of
the food.

The other factors I mentioned (alkaline load from fruit vegetables and
natural waters, essential fatty acids, other vitamins not required for
protein metabolism) would also contribute to the healthfulness of the diet.

Ben Balzer

> Are you proposing that there might be a mechanism for:

>-increased hepatic capacity for urea formation?

>-decreased ammonia toxicity (due to body compartment channeling or improved
ammonia metabolism/excretion)?

>-increased anabolism (increased protein accretion at the tissue/enzyme
level)?
DATA lamb liver and lamb leg- Note that this data does not specify whether
it was grain fed or pasture fed (nor did beef liver, which I would presume
was grain fed in the USA). I am not aware of US lamb feeding practices.