PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Art De Vany <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 15:48:30 -0700
The Vikings used to note the decline of a warrior with the phrase
"long in the tooth" an indicator of gingivitis and the eventual
onset of the inability to consume adequate amounts of protein.

Audette's hypothesis is a compelling one that, to my knowledge, has
not been tested.  We do know that displaced American Indians forced
to rely on Federal food supplies to their remote areas suffered
greatly:

        1.  The supply was unreliable and starvation was more or
less common.

        2. The foodstuffs were simple starchy substances, like
highly refined flour, and canned fruit in high sugar content syrup.

There was a complete lack of animal protein and fresh fruits and
vegetables.  The mortality associated with this diet, and the
imposed restrictions on mobility and hunting, was brutal.

Even today, the rural diet is far inferior to the urban diet in
most places around the globe.  If you get off the interstates and
back into remote areas, it is appalling what they eat there.

Eskimo and Pima children consume far more simple carbs than even
children in the city --- who are candy junkies.

Arthur De Vany
Professor
NeXTMAIL, SUN Mail & MIME welcome
http://www.socsci.uci.edu/mbs/personnel/devany/devany.html
Department of Economics
Institute for Mathematical Behavioral Sciences
3151 Social Science Plaza
Irvine, CA  92697-5100