PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 07:38:07 -0400
This list has been quiet.  I have a question about the following
assertion, "The coastal diet composition
was nearly all animal foods, mostly seafood with some birds and
kangaroo, and was approximately 80% protein, 20% fat, and less
than 5% carbohydrate."  It is based on the following research:
O'Dea K (1984) "Marked improvement in carbohydrate and lipid
metabolism in diabetic Australian aborigines after temporary
reversion to traditional lifestyle." Diabetes, vol. 33, no. 6
(Jun.), pp. 596-603.

What surprises me is the claim that the diet of the coastal
aborigines is 80% protein.  I've never heard of a diet this high
in protein, and had the idea that it could not be tolerated.
Comments?

Todd Moody