PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dana Carpender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:20:50 -0500
Andrew Millard wrote:

> Overweight lions will fail to catch food even if it is abundant, and then
> they will become thinner lions.  One might equally ask how many fat koalas
> does one see? None and they are vegetarian, move slowly and have an
> abundant food supply.  Just because another species is not seen to be
> over-weight does not make it a good analogue for humans.  What evidence is
> their that humans are carnivores rather than omnivores?

Not carnivores, necessarily, but there's evidence that we evolved on a
meat-heavy diet virtually devoid of grains, beans, and other
concentrated carb foods. An article in The American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition in March, 2000, reported on a multi-university, multi-national
study of hunter-gatherer diets, both from paleoanthropological evidence,
and study of the few remaining hunter-gatherer groups, and concluded
that hunter-gatherers generally get over half their calories from animal
foods, with the rest coming primarily from vegetables.  It specifically
said that "protein was elevated at the expense of carbohydrates."
--
Dana Carpender