PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennie Brand Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:44:49 -0400
Steve McBride asked two questions which I can help answer:

1. Can anyone point me to data that disputes protein as an aggravator of
renal disease in man?

My understanding of this issue is that dietary protein does not CAUSE renal
disease but that in the presence of renal disfunction (as often occurs as a
complication of diabetes), some experts believe that high protein diets
will aggravate it.  However, when put to the test, there is conflicting
evidence. A point of difference is the definition of high vs low protein
diets.   I'm sorry I don't have time at present to give you the references.
It is a regular subject in the Diabetes journals.

2. Does such long exposure to heat and moisture not cause a significant
decay in nutritional
value? How does it compare to other forms of cooking?

Long exposure to heat and water will adversely affect the heat labile
vitamins such as vitamin C and thiamin.  There is not much vitamin C left
if you cook any chopped vegetable for a long time.  A high proportion of
the water-soluble vitamins, even if stable to heat, end up in the cooking
water (which may be thrown away).  On the other hand, heat will increase
the bioavailability of some nutrients such as starch, the carotenoids and
niacin.

I think it's arguable that hunter-gatherers always used slow methods of
cooking.  Australian Aborigines used hot ashes and cooking times could be
very short.  The cooking time depended on the size of the animal.  They
rarely boiled anything in water.

Best wishes Jennie
Jennie Brand Miller  PhD
Associate Professor in Human Nutrition