PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loren Cordain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 09:47:00 -0600
In a previous digest, Jenny wrote: "The Keys equation does not consider
the effect of amount and type of CHOs on insulin secretion.
Hyperinsulinaemia is turning out to be one of the biggest independent
risk factors for CHD.  High protein diets and low glycaemic index diets
both lower insulinaemia.

Best wishes  Jennie"

        This was exactly my point.   Ancestral, pre-agricultural diets were
quite high in animal protein and the carbohydrate that was consumed was
generally of a low glycemic index.   These populations also selcetively
consumed the fatty portions of the killed animal (brain, marrow, depot
fat, perinephral fat, mesenteric fat, tongue, organs etc).    However,
available evidence from living hunter gatherers show that these
surrogates of our stone age ancestors maintain low risk factors for CHD
(blood lipid profiles, blood pressure, insulin sensitivity, body
composition etc).   All of this on a diet which contains 50-65% or more
of its total calories derived from animal foods.    Clearly, the Key's
equation breaks down when either the macronutrient content (extremely
high protein and low CHO) or the fatty acid composition of the diet (or
both) varies beyond the range of conditions in which Keys originally
derived his regression.    Although there is much circumstantial
evidence to indicate that the Key's equation is erroneous under these
conditions, there is no empirical data that I am aware of which has
confirmed this concept.

                                Best wishes,

                                Loren