PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:59:17 +1100
Roland
That is very interesting. There is some evidence that omega 6 fats are
harmful in macular degeneration too, according to expert opinion (Prof P
Beaumont, Macular degeneration foundation Australia).

Another mechanism that is relevant to the interest of the list is glutamate
excitotoxicity. Dietary MSG is related to this.

Raito http://www.scientific-com.com/AJO/backissues/v1n2/article/ This paper
indicates that glutamate stimulates nerve cells to death (apoptosis to be
precise) in glaucoma, and that glaucoma patients have higher levels of
glutamate in the intraocular fluid (due to damaged retina). Thus a vicious
cycle is set up wherein the damaged retina becomes leaky and permits the
increased entry of glutamate from plasma. This glutamate then causes
apoptosis, thus exacerbating the visual loss. One would anticipate similar,
if not worse, leakiness in the diabetic eye.

While there is no mention of dietary MSG in Rait's paper, Blaylock documents
well that humans absorb MSG well (better than lab animals- I think around 7
times the elevation rats get on equivalent dosages) and it causes large
spikes in
serum glutamate level. It would be logical to see if dietary MSG restriction
could benefit patients with glaucoma and other eye diseases especially
macular degeneration. Drugs that block glutamate (eg memantine) slow down
cell loss from glaucoma and large trials are underway with this drug, but I
can't find any evidence of simple use of low MSG diets being used (please
let me know if they are).

Russell Blaylock's Excitotoxins makes it clear that MSG has undesirable
excitotoxic effects on nervous tissue, especially in
situations where the blood brain barrier is leaky or non-existent (eg
periventricular area, neurohypophysis, damaged retina & foetal brain)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/health/2352709.stm is a media article about
dietary MSG damaging the rat retina, and also implicating MSG in the high
level of normal tension glaucoma in Asian populations.

Pubmed has indexed a number of papers linking glutamate to cell loss in
glaucoma. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Index&DB=PubMed

Ben Balzer