PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:31:21 +1000
This is exactly the point of my previous post- that high protein diets are
usually poorly designed. My reading of the Atkins diet is that any source of
omega 3 fats, vitamin A or B-vitamins is purely accidental (leaving out the
"Atkins vitamin supplements"). No attempt is made to mitigate the potential
renal acid load. Thus these (Atkins style) diets are preordained to failure.
If they would kill a brown dog, we cannot recommend them for humans. I
believe that high protein diets are viable but need to follow the rules of
wild carnivores- i.e. to include organ meats and meaty bones as sources of
omega 3 vitamin A B-vitamins and calcium.

Acid load can be ameliorated by inclusion of fruit and vegetables
(discouraged on Atkins diet) or by the inclusion of high bicarbonate mineral
waters (e.g. Evian is very high in bicarbonate). Natural river waters are
also high in bicarbonate- about 1/4 of Evian's level). Discussion of the
acid load of natural waters is an important issue which I would like to take
up on this list and also at acidbasebone nutrition group To subscribe click
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Ben Balzer

http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/325/7361/408/d

The pro's and con's of high protein diets and their physiological
implications are being wrangled by researchers and physicians alike.

Alexis Willett.