PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

ALLEN EWART GALE <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:32:29 +1000
From:    ALLEN EWART GALE <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re Book for the overweight teenager

>The authors of a popular book advocating a "paleolithic diet" would be well
>advised, in my view, to seek rigorous criticism before they publish.
>Asking for criticism from experts in fields other than biology and medicine
>would be an important part of that.
Agreed.
Have a look at the Vancouver Document at :-
http://www.mja.com.au/public/information/uniform.html
A relevant passage reads:-
"Medical Journals and the Popular Media
The public's interest in news of medical research has led the popular media
to compete vigorously to get information about
research as soon as possible. Researchers and institutions sometimes
encourage the reporting of research in the popular
media before full publication in a scientific journal by holding a press
conference or giving interviews.
The public is entitled to important medical information without unreasonable
delay, and editors have a responsibility to
play their part in this process. Doctors, however, need to have reports
available in full detail before they can advise their
patients about the reports' conclusions. In addition, media reports of
scientific research before the work has been peer
reviewed and fully published may lead to the dissemination of inaccurate or
premature conclusions."
Allen
[log in to unmask]   Jan5'99