From:
Geoff Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:31:30 +0000
It is quite erroneous to suggest  that a zero-carb/limited protein diet, whether raw or cooked,  has a low palatibility. It all depends on the individual. Sure, there are some zero-carbers  who  will just eat  100%  grainfed muscle-meats and nothing else, and grainfed meats are notoriously poor in taste, so that sort of ZC diet will have a low palatability. But then there are those zero-carbers who either eat their meats raw or only very lightly seared on the outside  partly for taste reasons, and then there are other zero-carbers who will incorporate a variety of raw wild game, raw wildcaught seafood or organ-meats, all of which have a high palatability.
I recall reading one article which stated that supermarkets routinely add casein(derived from milk) and gluten as preservatives  to their preprocessed  foods and processed sauces, precisely because they know that grains and dairy are addictive due to their opioid content. Plus, since cooking creates addictive opioids  as well, the very  nature of precooked foods makes them even more addictive.

And, I do wish to make clear that I do NOT actually  think that cooking  "dramatically increases the palatability of most foods". On the contrary, most rawpalaeodieters report that they increasingly find  over years, that, if they ever revert to cooked foods, they find that the taste of cooked foods appears more and more bland, tasteless, dry  and "burnt". This  implies that the enthusiasm for cooked foods among cooked-food-dieters  re taste has partly to do with addictive opioids present in cooked foods, and years of habit eating such cooked foods, nothing more. I do concede, however, that cooking does remove the antinutrients a lot from some  non-palaeo food like grains, so likely increases the palatability of those very non-palaeo foods.Geoffrey Purcell.