From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2017 09:28:45 -0400
That's a very good question, Harris. The answer is, satiety has not been a problem, as long as I stick to the McDougall-style plan, as opposed to some others, such as Fuhrman's (which I know about only by hearsay). McDougall's program is based on starches, which are highly satiating. Attempting to avoid starches and eat mainly low-density fruits and vegetables always failed for me. These foods could be temporarily satiating but hunger would quickly return. I should note in passing that I always had a similar problem with very low-carb eating. I'd consume large quantities of fat at a meal but I'd find myself wanting to eat again very soon. Consequently, I never had much lasting weight loss success that way.

As I said before, weight loss hasn't been rapid on this starch-based plan. I make no effort to restrict my intake. I simply try to use whole unrefined foods, with starch as the main item and other vegetables on the side, plus a moderate amount of fruit, mostly berries and melon.

I should add this: Another "white crow" experience from last year was stumbling upon a number of articles about de novo lipogenesis (DNL). This is a complicated subject that I can't pretend to understand very well, but I did learn that DNL from carb consumption isn't as "easy" as I was accustomed to thinking. For example, Evelyn at CarbSane has a number of articles on this topic, such as: http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2013/05/de-novo-lipogenesis-again-and-science.html . She has a lot of other interesting stuff as well. I was fully indoctrinated into the idea that dietary carbs are quickly converted to body fat, so this was another slam of cognitive dissonance for me.

Once again, I'm not here to debate anything. I'm just sharing my experience. There are still a lot of unanswered questions.