From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2014 14:23:01 -0600
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Dedy Rundle <[log in to unmask]> wrote

> Why then single out potatoes when there's a host
> of other foods one could object to on grounds of
> perceived maladaptation?

I singled out potatoes primarily, although not exclusively, because of
their high carbohydrate content.   Before the neolithic, taxing our
pancreas was an occasional, seasonal thing.  It was just about impossible,
short of coming across a honey cache, to get enough carbs to lift you out
of ketosis.  And, yes, that's even true for folks who lived in tropical
regions where fruit was much more plentiful.

Think about this for a minute.  Two cups of wild berries per person would
be a nice haul for a day of gathering.  We're talking 20-25 grams of
slowly-absorbed carbohydrate there, not enough to get you out of ketosis.
 The rest had be fat and protein.

To respond to your other new world foods comment, I get what you're saying.
 I've always said the standard should be that paleo is consuming foods of
the same class and kind as those we collectively consumed over hundreds of
thousands of years.  Any kind of animal protein, muscle meat, or fat
clearly falls into that category.  Water is good.  Low glycemic fruits in
moderation are good.  Leafy green vegetables are good.  The rest is up in
the air if you want to guarantee health.  Maybe you can include nightshades
or grains or potatoes or milk.  Maybe not.