From:
Lisa E Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 08:22:05 -0800
Dogs have a scavenger/omnivore digestive tract than humans, shorter and
more acidic to aid their ability to eat rotting things that would make
us sick.

For much of the time man and dog have co-existed, man wasn't feeding
dog.  At least not exclusively.  Dogs weren't caged; they were still
their own main food providers, even if we threw them a bone once in a
while after we'd gnawed off the surface good stuff.  We may have shared
in a time of plenty, but when food was scarce, most of dogs were on
their own.

After we started feeding them exclusively, we fed them what we ate, and
back then, it was real food, so not much adaptation necessary. Processed
commercial dog food is less than a century old, which even in dog years,
isn't very long for that kind of adaptation to get far given the
differences in their digestive tracts.  But now that they are eating
processed foods, they are starting to show diseases of civilization,
too.  Also, I think diseases that take a number of years to develop
might not show up as quickly in a species with such a short lifespan
compared to humans.  The diet doesn't have as long to mess with their
genes before they procreate.

Just my theory...

Lisa in Alaska