From:
Janice Frasche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:06:02 -0700
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 08:22:05AM -0800, Lisa E Sporleder [[log in to unmask]] wrote (in part):
| back then, it was real food, so not much adaptation necessary.
| Processed commercial dog food is less than a century old, which
| even in dog years, isn't very long for that kind of adaptation
| to get far given the differences in their digestive tracts.
| But now that they are eating processed foods, they are starting
| to show diseases of civilization, too.  Also, I think diseases
| that take a number of years to develop might not show up as
| quickly in a species with such a short lifespan compared to
| humans.  The diet doesn't have as long to mess with their genes
| before they procreate.

While I was still working in medical labs, I nursed a growing
interest in molecular biology as a hobby (I also study population
genetics as it involves domestic animals, particularly dogs), and
now a few decades out on my retirement, I have been following the
issues involved with 'conformational' disease. Amyloid
development in alzheimer's disease has a very high correlation to
diabetes, for example.

Protein folding that occurs as a regular behavior of our
constituent endocrinology, becomes confounded as our systems
develop inflammation. I've borrowed an image and edited it w pink
and blue, to illustrate the process
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp103/Ticklerkid/Health/Formation_of_damage_zpsjyl5mpdw.png~original

The above picture helps to illustrate what is happening. Glucose
spiking, processes like fevers, trauma, unresolved bad nutrition,
allergies, sensitivities, continued inflammation in autoimmune
disease and so on, increase progressive degeneration.

Do you see your a disease that 'runs in your family here?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyloid#Diseases_featuring_amyloids

(brain: Huntington's, Parkinson's, ALS, Alzheimer's and var
dementia; Eye: cataracts; Pancreas: diabetes; Arteries:
atheriosclerosis; RBCs: sickle cell anemia; Thyroid: medullary
thyroid carcinoma--- etc)

another paper here, see the diseases.
http://www.fasebj.org/content/22/7/2115/T2.expansion.html

Some diseases have a genetic basis such as a loss/gain of
function (motor neuron disease for example), but inflammatory
processes make them worse QUICKER. That is what the charts are
about.

All types of diseases seem to include people and animals with
increased insulin resistance. I talk to others about what insulin
does to the body to exacerbate damage, but right here, since
animals were mentioned, I wanted to point to an older article
(2008) which, without the benefit of what we know now about
conformational disease, pretty much shows all the signs of
heading in the right direction, but does not detect light at the
end of the tunnel.
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/8/2072S.full

    Preliminary results of histological examination of pancreatic
    tissue show a similar range of islet pathology in diabetic
    Burmese and diabetic domestic cats, which suggests that the
    mutation does not directly result in excessive deposition of
    islet amyloid polypeptide or another metabolic product
    causing destruction of .-cells (personal communication, R.
    Lederer, 2003). Limited data available suggest the genes
    involved may influence insulin sensitivity (unpublished data,
    J. Rand, 2003).

The light at the end of the tunnel grows larger as we reassess
old papers, and new studies.

While it might not be entirely appropriate for this forum, it
shows many aspects of support for primal diets--I did want to
share a video by Dr Perlmutter (over an hour long) that does talk
address (in part) modern diseases/amyloid disease. He does not
talk about misfolded proteins like I do, but I wanted to explain
(to my friends and associates), the mechanism behind modern
conformational disease, solutions he has found, and why the
things he says about eating are apparently supported in practice
and in observation of OLD medical testing that chose the wrong
scapegoats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgu7wiDRaLU

He a practicing neurologist, also has great interest in
nutrition. He is published in many journals with materials that
can be seen as some, as against the grain (a pun).

I don't have any affiliation with him and currently do not own
his books, but as this forum has seen sharing of the fact of
various mass media begin to doubt previous (and well ingrained)
theories, I think this has a place on the forum.
(as well as for present topic on humans and our pet animals)

I've been very interested in the increased development of
Diabetes 1 in populations, the increase of Diabetes 2, a new
nomenclature for Diabetes 3. Modern diseases, such as increases
of autism, autoimmune, psychological dysfuction, and many other
maladies along with the fact that many of the affected who are
put onto primal type diets seem to resolve some of their
symptoms.

While 'gluten free' is assumed to be a fad by some, fueled by the
fact that many doctors are not well informed or are limited by
constraints of insurance costs to standard 'celiac tests' and
upon normal results, tell patients it's just a fad, that they are
not 'celiac'--the fact is, wheat and gluten proteins include
dozens of specific proteins that are NOT TESTED in that standard
test. Many people may have subclinical effects they do not notice
and don't realize that other effects such as Afib (amyloid build
up), headaches, low libido and more might be related to these
sensitivities.

To see what is ordered in serious gluten related testing see
Cyrex labs, Array 3 (all wheat and gluten) and Array 4 (cross
reactions)
http://www.cyrexlabs.com/CyrexTestsArrays

If you have family members that are just not convinced of the
growing information that supports 'controversial' primal diets,
tell them about this stuff. If they are sensitive to gluten and
or have gut, inflammatory states and disease, they should make
sure to mention Cyrex Labs Array 3 (at least). Doctors familiar
with these tests will order the entire arrays of 3 and 4 as
needed.

The Truth is out there. :)
--
Janice - proofreading? what's that?