From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 13:09:52 -0500
> That's very very interesting, but what exctly is this "whole cascade
> of effects"? could you please give us some reference?

> Thanks for the very stimulating post

Here's a useful overview by Guyenet: http://boingboing.net/2012/03/09/seduced-by-food-obesity-and-t.html

Jim, it's funny you mention the steak wrapped in bacon. Bacon is indeed one of the most palatable foods out there, and it's use as an additive in all sorts of things has become something of a culinary meme these days. The other day I was in a diner that had a new pastry: Cream-filled, maple-glazed, with bits of bacon sprinkled on the top.

Please note that the definition of "hyperpalatable" is as much dispositional as it is sensory. Hyperpalatable foods aren't just foods that taste really, really good; they are that, but they also tend to stimulate hyperconsumption. There's a lot of overlap between the two, but they're not identical. To give a non-paleo example, I enjoy the taste and texture of plain Greek yogurt. But I never want to eat a lot of it. In contrast, many cheeses are for me hyperpalatable, in the sense that once I start eating them I have a strong tendency to eat more and more. I could eat a rather large amount of simple cheddar cheese without even thinking about it or realizing I'm doing it. I know because I've done it. But this never happens with plain yogurt. Both have the non-paleo casein protein but my reaction to the yogurt is "normal"; I eat some and then I've "had enough" and I stop. My reaction to the cheese is that of an addict who has been triggered.

Todd