Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:12:53 -0700
Many main stream computers are now 64 bit. They've been around for  a
long time, and it's inevitable we'll all have one some day. Dual core
processors are not required. The 64 bit designation has to do with the
amount of memory addressable by the computer, in this case, 2^64th
power. (That's a lot, 16.8 million terabytes). My current computer has 8
GB RAM, and it's fast.
I've never had any program incompatibilities with 64 bit machines,
although I know they exist. The usual problems come with drivers, and a
new machine won't have any difficulties. It's possible that some older
peripherals won't work, though. Check with the manufacturer if you have
a favorite printer/scanner, etc. you're concerned about.
That's a nice machine, and I wouldn't hesitate to get the 64 bit
version. The minimum requirement for Win 7 is 1 GB, but more is better.
This Wikipedia article will clear things up nicely. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit