Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:20:03 -0700
  I know of two clues that may help:

1.  Built-in or USB-powered wifi radios typically only use a fraction of
the power that the FCC permits.  On the recommendation of Google's wifi
support folks, I bought a Ruckus "wifi modem" (silly nomenclature for a
router...) with its own separate power supply, and got a much more
reliable connection, apparently due to the more powerful signal.

2. The FCC limits are in terms of Total Radiated Power.  t is expected
and even somewhat encouraged that people will use *directional* antennas
to achieve higher effective power in some specific direction, and there
are a number of directional antenna components available -- you may have
to replace some of your current wifi gear with stuff that either
includes a directional antenna OR accepts a separate external antenna.

  Failing all else, you *might* need to consult an RF Engineer who knows
wifi, but it sounds like you should be able to make this work with a
handful of relatively inexpensive components.

David Gillett