PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:08:54 -0500
For some reason, I keep getting messages routed to me direct from the
contributors to the list.  This occurred with Howard Eisman's challenge.
To which I responded to him with the view that one has to translate the
term into feelings and emotional states of mind.  He then challenged me to
do that with the term 'identification'::

IDENTIFICATION:  In popular parlance (in Britain) it means 'a chip off the
old block'.  It is best considered in terms of specific illustrations.  For
instance, a sense of being like one's mother/father.  Often after a parent
has died, a person will suddenly think about something they do themselves,
with the thought - 'Oh, my mother/father used to do/say that'.  It is as if
there is a deep sense of being linked with an important person in one's
life - but linked by 'feeling the same as'.  It is a link characterised
curiously by feeling one has not chosen that link, but rather one has
stumbled upon a recognition of it.

This description is off-the-cuff, and I expect I could do better with time
and inclination.  Such a description is over 100 words long.  Wouldn't it
be easier to have a sign of some kind that could just indicate that,
without having to repeat a hundred words or more?

Nevertheless I do agree that it is important never to forget the
experiential base that words are supposed to indicate.  When it comes to
deep-going and emotional experiences they may be hard to dredge up, and
often painful (as above in the instance of a lost loved one) and therefore
slick and shallow short-cuts are tempting.  I do agree that such
short-cutting is reprehensible.  I am adamant though that psychoanalytic
terms do have real references points and are therefore of real use ('real'
meaning, in this context, inner reality).